Physical Therapy Assistant
Brooklyn, NY 11226
Physical Therapy Assistant
Provides physical therapy interventions to designated patients under the supervision of a Physical Therapist (“PT”). Assists in monitoring patient progress through observations and follows up with supervising therapist. Works under PT supervision as required under NY State Education law.
- Follows established physical therapy plan of care, including physical therapy interventions and patient/caregiver education. Modifies specific treatment procedures in accordance with PT plan of care and Physical Therapy Assistant (“PTA”) scope of practice.
- Documents all care provided and maintain records per VNSNY policy and standards.
- Assists in monitoring patient progress through observation and follows up with Supervising Therapist in accordance with VNSNY policy.
- Complies with scope of practice for PTA, including a co-visit with Physical Therapist on all initial PTA visits and keeps PT informed. PT will re-assess patient every 6 visits or 30 days (whichever comes first).
- Manages assigned caseload; provides physical therapy services to patients as directed per PT plan of care.
- Participates in VNSNY meetings, including but not limited to, interdisciplinary team meetings, in-service and training programs, rehab services meetings and caseload reviews.
- Travels to patients’ homes and/or other facilities with varying environments (e.g., elevated buildings, walk-ups, care facilities, single/multiple family homes, presence of pets, etc.) using approved transportation options to deliver direct care to the patient.
- Assists patients with therapeutic interventions and activities of daily living, which may require positioning, moving, transferring and lifting patients of varying body sizes and physical conditions, with and without assistance and as appropriate, instructing, demonstrating and verifying capabilities of family members and/or paraprofessionals. Ability to use and assist patient with use durable medical equipment as a component of the plan of care, including but not limited to wheelchairs, patient transfer lifts, ambulatory devices, slings, splints, orthoses, prostheses, and exercise/strengthening equipment.
- Provides care in accordance with Agency policies, practices, procedures and standards, including professional practice standards of care, which may require standing, stooping, sitting, crouching, twisting, reaching, bending and stretching to deliver patient care.
- Transports and utilizes required technology devices (tablet), infection control materials and supplies using VNSNY designated/supplied carrying case (backpack) weighing approximately 15 – 20 lbs to and from patient homes/care facilities, VNSNY offices and therapists’ home.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties, as assigned.
- New York State Certification as Physical Therapist Assistant required.
- Valid driver's license may be required, as determined by operational/regional needs.
- Associate Degree as Physical Therapist Assistant from a New York State approved program or whose educational credentials have been approved equivalent by New York State required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in clinical patient care (per NY State Education Law) required.
- Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs.
- Basic PC skills preferred.